A beautiful smile is a priceless asset that can make you stand out in a crowd of your peers. Unfortunately not everyone is born with the perfect smile, and for those who are, an unfortunate accident can deform your smile. Enter the practice of cosmetic dentistry- this dental work specialty can drastically improve the appearance of your teeth, gums and bite. Below we will look at the 5 top cosmetic dentistry treatments available.
- Teeth Whitening (Teeth Bleaching)
– This treatment has dramatically grown in popularity over the last 20 years, providing a respite for numerous individuals with discolored teeth.
– Discolored teeth can occur due to smoking, a bad diet and drinking tea, coffee and alcohol.
– Teeth whitening works by bleaching your stained external teeth with a safe whitening agent.
– Additionally, you can choose between using a home whitening kit and deciding on an in-chair treatment- the latter is recommended.
– Teeth whitening can last between 1 and 2 years, depending on how well you take care of your teeth.
- Tooth Reshaping (Dental Contours)
– This cosmetic procedure can remedy chipped, crooked, overlapping and cracked teeth during a single session.
– The procedure involves the removal of part or all of the enamel, in order to reshape, reposition and realign a tooth.
– Tooth reshaping is sometimes used in place of braces, and has been referred to as sculpting, slenderizing, contouring and enameloplasty.
- Dental Bridges
– This cosmetic treatment is aimed at all individuals who have one or more teeth missing, and works by filling the vacant tooth space with a false tooth (pontics).
– The pontics are held in place by two porcelain crowns that are attached to either side of it.
– Dental bridges defer from partial dentures due to the fact that they are permanent (fixed bridges).
– Inserting dental bridges can improve your bite and speech, as well as help combat gum disease.
– Bridges can last for up to 10 years if good oral hygiene is maintained.
- Porcelain Veneers
– Veneers help cover gaps and chipped teeth, as well as discolored teeth that have not reacted well to whitening.
– They are made up of extremely thin porcelain laminates that are tailored to fit each tooth.
– A veneer is bonded on top of an individual tooth, and sometimes a tooth may need to be reduced in order for the veneer to fit.
– They offer a naturally brilliant look as they are stain resistant and reflect light.
– There are different types of veneers, which include but are not limited to CerinateLumineers, Da Vinci Veneers and MACveneers- each has its separate pros and cons.
– Tooth decay can result in the loss of part of your tooth structure, and fillings are required to replace this loss.
– For a long time unattractive metals were used as fillings, but advancements in cosmetic dentistry means that you can now have composite resin and porcelain fillings that blend into your teeth.
– These naturally looking fillings bond directly to your dentin and enamel, and mimic the function and feel of your tooth.
– Furthermore, these fillings reduce the amount of current and future repair work required.
– Modern feelings also work towards strengthening, restoring and protecting the decayed tooth.
These 5 cosmetic treatments are the most widely used in today’s world of dentistry. Remember, a brighter and straighter smile makes you look more radiant, youthful, healthy and happy. Apply for your ehic card today, and take advantage of the access to dentists and dental treatment available to you.